THE VAN / FITOUT
Finally we, and by “we” I mean Ben, have gotten around to putting together a write up on all the nitty gritty of our van conversion. Without going in to too much detail but, also covering everything, Ben has done a bloody god job!! He does love a good tech talk, so it was a walk in the park for him to whip up these informative posts complete with pros, cons, links, hot tips, photos and even diagrams he drew himself! He also LOVES to help people and share his experience and knowledge so if there is something he has not covered and you want to know, get in touch via the comment box or on Instagram/facebook. Cheers guys….
2011 2.0L Twin Turbo 4Motion Volkswagen T5 Transporter
- We LOVE it. It is our second T5.
- It is an AWD with a rear diff lock which allows us to go further then a 2wd would. We have been down many 4wd tracks and have taken the van on soft sand no worries plenty of times.
- It has 2 sliding doors!!
- Extended Fibreglass mid-roof buttttt……see con
- …..we cannot completely stand up straight.
- Although it has been lifted clearance can still be an issue.
- The motor blew up a month out from leaving home. Unfortunately, this is a well-known Transporter issue which Volkswagen need to address!!! (We might do a different post on this because it will help other VW owners or those looking to buy one).
- Volkswagen parts are not THAT easy to source if not in major cities/towns.
Bilstein B6 Shock Absorbers, King Springs and Diff Drop Kit
Fitted by Fulcrum Suspensions Rockhampton
- Bilstein Shocks are some of the best quality around.
- Can be rebuilt for a fraction of the replacement fee.
- Nice smooth ride.
- Can be a wait time in the country for the shock absorbers
Contact Heasman Steering and Suspension for information regarding part numbers etc. http://heasmans.com.au/
Have it installed by Fulcrum Suspension (Australia Wide).
Pirelli Scorpion All Terrain Plus 235/65/R17
- Fitted by Kmart Tyre and Auto (Australia wide, will beat ANY price you find online, will replace any damaged tyres FOR FREE under there tyre saver plan).
- Some sidewall protection
- Rugged look
- Better priced then BFGoodrich or Coopers all terrains.
- Price versus normal highway terrains
Outback Touring Solutions (OTS), Sunshine Coast QLD
- Excellent customer service before, during and after the build.
- OTS specialises in 4WD fit outs therefore our build is built to handle rough conditions.
- The Price! Brock and his team were very competitively priced and open to our design considerations.
- Ideas – Brock came up with things we had never thought of. The electronics slide set-up is something we have not seen anywhere else.
- The detail. Especially around the windows.
- STORAGE. We have an unreal amount of storage.
- Every little space has been accounted for. Should see where our table is stored! You would not even know if we had not have showed you 😉
- Lockable drawers.
- Honestly – None.
Drifta Pull Out Kitchen with Return: DPOR
- Excellent design and is compact when packed away (it’s our second one, we’ve had one in each van)
- Huge cooking and prep area once setup.
- So much cupboard space, been 15 months and we still haven’t filled it all up.
- Quick to setup, there is a video on their site.
- Looks smart and everybody at camp wants to know about it.
- Cooking outside and being exposed to the elements gets pretty old. Especially when the temp drops, its raining or if the wind is howling!
- The paint work on the new one was not properly done an we have had some serious troubles with it coming off and staining our clothes, very disappointing. We didn’t have this issue with the first one.
Companion/Primus High output 2 Burner Stove
- Its high output so boils and cooks at much higher temps
- A lot quieter then other stoves for some unknown reason??
CUSTOM MADE REAR CANVAS COVER
Designed by US
- Keeps the rain, sandflies, mozzies and flies out.
- Made of lightweight durable canvas which is waterproof.
- Allows a full window worth of airflow, some people might tell you that the mosquito net restricts air movement, but it is not noticeable.
- Removable, although we leave it on.
- We have designed it to be able to access the back drawers but to also keep in closed up.
- We designed it so obviously none haha.
- Oh wait, it was pretty exxy but, after all you pay for what you get!!
Koala Double Bed Mattress
Unfortunately, we would not buy this mattress ever again.
- The mattress degrades dramatically over time.
- We have two huge indents where we have been sleeping.
- For the same price you can buy a quality custom spring mattress.
- It will be replaced as soon as we are both working again.
Dingo Trails Seat Covers
- Excellent design
- Made of neoprene so no leaks through to seats if you spill water. We unloaded a whole water bottle and basically drained it off the seat.
- Protects the seats
- Big rear pockets for storage on both covers
- Airbag compliant – Will burst open if your airbags are in your seats like our VW.
- Can be put in the washing machine to be cleaned.
SPARE WHEEL / BIKE CARRIER
Made by TyreTrek
- Swings out to allow us to open the rear door
- Sits in where your tow ball usually is so it can be removed when not travelling.
- Can add an additional two jerry can holders.
- We did a full lap around Australia with it on the back plus two heavy bikes strapped to the tyre and did not have any issues.
- We had a custom bike rack made up to bolt onto the Tyre Trek, this snapped on the first 4×4 road we went down, we have since just strapped the bikes directly to the tyre with ratchet straps!
Pioneer Rhino Rack
- It’s been around Australia and installed on two of our vans.
- It is HUGE and holds all our gear
- It’s so easy to install, we did it ourselves.
- Its aluminium so wont rust and is lightweight compared to the steal versions.
- Can be installed onto ANY vehicle using the runners you can find on the site.
Scout’s Ma made us the most unreal curtains. With black out backing it can be 10am and still super dark inside. The blackout curtains also give us privacy at night when the lights inside are on.
If you have not already figured out, Scout loves to train so bringing along some equipment was a must. We have 1 x 16kg Kettlebell, 2 x 8kg dumbbells, a skipping rope and a TRX which gets set up off the roof rack.
Rhino Toolbox from Bunnings
This box is priceless. Not only does it boast the growing sticker collection, it also carries a shit load of equipment. We have so many activity equipment on board that we needed extra storage for it all.